Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Reflections on Teach21 - Year One

The title says it all. Year one implies there is a future for Teach21and there will be. Teach 21 will be implemented with a new group of teachers next year, and this trailblazing group will continue to grow and learn and pass it on.
That alone tells me that Teach21 has been a great success. If you go back to the origins of this blog you will see the milestones along the way. There have been pitfalls and glitches, but they've not been excuses for not moving forward.
Teach21 has changed my teaching significantly. In the lab I have tried to teach our students how they can use technology to show what they know. It has made me more of a facilitator, forced me to become more connected within my own school and worldwide. That's exciting!
The impact on students has been significant. I don't know what it's impact will be with regard to NC's End Of Grade Test scores, but I know it has had a big impact on students and their ability to connect, create, and be lifelong learners. I will never forget what one fifth grader who has been at Bolton since kindergarten told me about being a class with a teacher who has been part of Teach21. She said this year has been her best ever. Digging deeper into what she means I found that the Smartboard was a part, but it was more of what they did, and how they approached learning than it was having a glowing interactive whiteboard in the room. All in all, I know our students have some skills they didn't have before.
The success within our group of educators will be evidenced through their reflections on their own blogs so check those via our links. Please comment and let us know what is working where you are. This is an ongoing process and that makes being in education a rich experience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I Went to the feald trip to the movie to watch diary of a wimpy kid. First,there was no noise. I try to not get mad.Then the movie started all over again with noise. Shawn third grade